aTunes is a full-featured audio player and manager, developed in Java programming language that makes it executable in any platform, Windows version comes with ripping and encoding tools included. This Open Source software iTunes alike is a great alternative if you seek for a customizable program with useful features and a friendly interface.
You can use aTunes for playing many popular audio formats, edit tags, organize music collection, and listen online radio stations or podcasts.
aTunes has many other features that would require more time to explain, but in conclusion, because aTunes is free, cross-platform software I think is one of the best open source audio player alternatives.
- Mp3 player
- Tag editor
- Reads ID3v1, ID3v1.1 and ID3v2 tags (only essential information)
- Show pictures of song: pictures inside ID3v2 tag, or in the same folder
- Load / save play list in m3u format
- Navigate through songs sorted by tag information or by folder
- Filters for fast find what you want
- Songs, albums or artists can be marked as favorites, and viewed through a special view
- Full view with all controls
- Simple view, with just essential controls
- Tiny view, to place window in a square of window
- Sticky borders for Simple and Tiny views
- Always on top property
- Six languages supported: English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese and Italian
- State saved: repository, play list, last played song, shuffle, repeat, position in desktop, size, type of view…
- Export tool: you can copy songs from the repository to a folder. For example, selecting your portable player as repository can copy songs to hard disk.
Official Website: www.atunes.org