Writer is the word processor component of the OpenOffice software bundle. It is an alternative to Microsoft Word and Corel’s WordPerfect. Its a full featured word processor with all of the advanced features found in commercial word processors.
Writer is a feature-rich tool for creating letters, books, reports, newsletters, brochures, and other documents. You can insert graphics and objects from other components into Writer documents. Writer can export files to HTML, XHTML, XML, Adobe’s Portable Document Format (PDF), and several versions of Microsoft Word files. It also connects to your email client without loss of layout or design and while staying compatible with the receiver’s software solutions.
It’s simple enough for a quick memo, powerful enough to create complete books with contents, diagrams, indexes, etc. You’re free to concentrate on your message – while WRITER makes it look great.
- Templates and styles
- Page-layout methods, including frames, columns, and tables
- Embedding or linking of graphics, spreadsheets, and other objects
- Built-in drawing tools
- Master documents—to group a collection of documents into a single document
- Change tracking during revisions
- Database integration, including a bibliography database
- Export to PDF, including bookmarks
- Equation editor
- Scriptable and Remote Controllable via the UNO API
- Display multiple pages while you edit – ideal for complex documents, or if you have a large monitor
- read all your old Microsoft Word documents, or save your work in Microsoft Word format for sending to people who are still locked into Microsoft products. From version 3.0 WRITER can also open .docx files created with Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X.
The advanced notes feature displays notes on the side of the document. This makes notes a lot easier to read. In addition, notes from different users are displayed in different colors together with the editing date and time.
Save your documents in OpenDocument format, the new international standard for office documents. This XML based format means you’re not tied in to WRITER. You can access your documents from any OpenDocument compliant software.
As with the entire OpenOffice.org suite, Writer can be used across a variety of platforms, including Microsoft Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Irix and Solaris. Released under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public Licence, Writer is free software.
Follow OpenOffice on the following Social Networks…
indenti.ca Group: http://identi.ca/group/openoffice